Friday, September 18, 2009

Must have more talking!

Recently, I had the pleasure of attending my first writers conference. The strongest point that was stressed by authors and editors presenting was dialogue is the key to story movement. It is the best method to show and prevent telling. Also flashbacks of any kind will immediately stop the story. I am sorry to say that my current novel started with a flashback and the first twelve, very long sentences had no dialogue. Snore! I had no idea because I lovingly crafted that from a memory I twisted to fit the story. The reader doesn't care. He/she wants to jump right in and be submerged in the first few pages not hear about an old lady and her significance to me. So the changes are being made happily. I want teens to read my book not fall asleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment