Thursday, February 11, 2010

A legit writers contest.

Normally, I disregard writing contests because I don't trust them. Most contests are usually a front to get you to give them money for some sort of vanity book or 'outside expenses'. How do I know this? Well I also have written songs and poetry so in my time I've entered a couple contests. Guess what? I WON! Yes, and when I was nineteen and stupid I really thought I was special when my poem was 'chosen' to be in a published book. My dad never told me the truth and he bought the book. Holding the $20 vanity book that had a bunch of other suckers poems in it, he told me he was proud of me. (I know, boohoo, get to the point.)
Well let's go back a few months, (snore) hey, I'm getting there...I had the awesome opportunity to attend a FREE talk given by Chuck Sambuchino. He gave info and advice about the world of publishing while promoting his book Guide to Literary Agents 2010. Amazed by his infinite knowledge and experience, I started to follow his blog Guide to Literary Agents.
It has become one of my favorites along with Writers Unboxed and Query Shark.
Anyway, I trust his blog enough to enter his Dear Lucky Agent Contest. Without a query, I get to submit the first 150-200 words of my manuscript to be judged by Jennifer Laughran of the Andrea Brown Agency.
Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment