Tuesday, August 7, 2012

YouTube Teen Views Rise from the 1970's (Ha!)

Today's teens spend more time looking at a screen than their own parents. Between texting friends, Facebook, ipad and then there is YouTube. YouTube serves as a form of quick entertainment with it's little five to ten minute vlogs. I am just as guilty myself. I could be on YouTube every hour of the day without my kids, hubby and writing to make life interesting. A realization hit me today after I watched a clip with Shel Silverstein on The Johnny Cash Show and it got me thinking.

1. It was in black and white. (Of course it was, it was 1970 but I'm thinking in the perception of the teen viewer.)
2. The dialogue was slow paced and easy going.
3. The songs were serious and sad.

 My beautiful mother would say it was the sign of the times. In 1970 we were at war with Vietnam and quiet entertainment was perfected. Teens were being drafted at eighteen out of high school. The show was basically lulling me into submission.

Our YouTube videos today are:

1. Colorful and HD vibrant
2. Fast paced (Jump cuts to the point of epilepsy)
3.  Upbeat focus with zany craziness



Some would say, Michelle teens watch traditional media also. Link below:

http://www.adweek.com/news/television/teens-make-time-digital-and-traditional-media-99703

I would say to my imaginary friends you are diluting yourselves. 

http://www.reelseo.com/youtube-statistics/

I'm guessing many views are unable to be tracked because Fred is a sensations and Fred gives me a fricking old lady headache. From the YouTube channel charlieissocoollike, teen heartthrob Charlie McDonnall made a million subscribers last year. Craig Benzine, the Wheezy Waiter himself admitted to changing some of his format to fit a younger demographic. In which I respond, BOO! Unfortunately Wheezy is right. I've seen blips his concerts on his channel alwayswheezy and there isn't a person with a wrinkle. Boo! Boo! Boo! (I like Wheezy, especially his videos from early last year.)


Wrapping the rant: Good or bad YouTube is a sign of OUR times. Parents, to make your teens look at you, you need to start doing jump cuts.









No comments:

Post a Comment